Friday, January 9, 2009

Tokyo




We woke up at 4:45 AM and left the hotel shortly before 5:30 AM. Lily our guide took us to the airport. The hotel had prepared four box lunches for us that we ate on the way to the Guangzhou airport. We got to our concourse fine and I really wanted a cup of coffee. So I stopped at a cafe and asked for a cup and also asked if they accepted American Bills. They said they did and that it would be $13. I laughed and said you must mean $1.30. She said no, that it was $13. So I said "no thanks".

We were confused when we left this morning because our boarding pass states the departure time in the city where you are leaving from. So when we got to Guangzhou, this morning, our pass from Tokyo said we were to board at 7:15. We all had no idea what time it would be when we arrived in Tokyo. As it turned out, we had about a six hour layover. We arrived at 1:35 PM and we do not fly out until 8:00.

We stopped at McDonalds for lunch. The menu was in yen and I did not know my conversion. It came to $45, about 2 times what it would have been in the US. The girls and I about hit the floor. We justified it as payback for paying 1/2 price in China about 3 times. It was cute as we prepared to eat our expensive McD's meal. We all held hands to sing our blessing and Alaina sang most all of the words to "God our Father, we thank you". So cute. She really only says "please" and "thank you" in English, but she understands several other things, including a few essential "signs"!

The girls are making the best of the situation in the airport. We have played games, rode the moving sidewalks, and gone to the non-squatty potties many times. There is also a nice play area with a slide and some computers with little games that they enjoyed.

Next stop is Honolulu - where Alaina will become a new US citizen!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha!!! I am so jealous. Bring me some Hawaiian sand. Our prayer is that every flight will be on time and smooth! See you in Hotlanta.
Hugs and kisses to all.
Aunt Amy

Stacy said...

Hi guys....WOW $45 dollars - oh my! I could not live there b/c I go to McDonalds WAY to much - or maybe I should and then I would lose weight b/c I couldn't afford it - ha! YEAH you are almost there (well to Hawaii) but then HOME! :)

Enjoy your time in Hawaii and take lots of pictures :)

Praying for good flights :)

Stacy

Carol said...

Aloha! I can't think of a better place to become a US citizen!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We absolutely cannot wait to meet our newest niece! We will figure out a weekend with you real soon! I am jealous of Amy, Susan, Mike, Madison, and Mema who get to see her right away. We sure pray for safe, uneventful flights home! Have a great time in Hawaii. What a fun thing!


Lots of Love, Aunt E and Umpa Kaul

Donna said...

Don't you just love those Tokyo toilets with the flushing sounds and ALL that other stuff. Shelby pushed all the buttons and since her butt didn't cover the seat her entire back got a great washing!! Have a terrific time in Hawaii.