I think that we are all pretty worn down - not just our family, but everyone. Many of the kids had a hard day yesterday, and Alaina and Ally were no exception. Thankfully, S and L were great! There were several points that Alaina just got sad; along with that, she got stubborn. She would pull away from any of us trying to hold her hand and turn her head. It's a little hard to tell the difference between mad and sad.
It was a beautiful day to be outside at the zoo. My camera battery died, so I'll try to swipe some pics from other blogs! The surroundings were not beautiful, but we did get some good looks and entertaining moves and sounds from several of the animals. Everyone pretty much walked together because Rebecca (our guide) said it was very big. Ally fell asleep and had an accident in the stroller just a few minutes after she had gone to the potty... she has seemed to regress in that respect over the last 2 days - 4 "accidents". So, we'll bring out the pull-ups and just move on. I'm sure it's just a little attention-getting thing on her part. After all, her little world has also been shaken a little. Not making a big deal out of it!
We had lunch with the group at a dumpling restaurant. It was good, but by that point many of the kids had reached the "I've had enough" point. Let's just say that our corner of the restaurant was very loud!
I had promised S and L that I would take them for a massage this trip since we forgot last time. So, we 3 along with 3 other moms (Jodi, Pam and Loree P) headed out to find a massage. Once we arrived, they ushered us into a big room lined with recliners on each side (I was so gald we were all together). 5 of us had guys and Jodi got the only lady! S and L laughed for a good part of their 90 minute foot massage (which did include our feet, legs, arms, feet, neck and back). My guy was pretty rough and beat me up and pulled me every which way - it hurt a few times. Lauren and Sara's guys must have taken it a little easy on them because they didn't hurt! They were both so ticklish that they giggled thru most of theirs! It was fun to do, and the dads may go today! I'll try to steal a picture from Jodi!
We have tried to notice a pattern for Alaina's saddness, but don't really see one. She was upset when we put Ally into "her" stroller (because it reclines). Then she was very upset as we "walked" to dinner with the group. Because we were walking along a busy street, we insisted that A and A hold hands with a grown up. No big deal, right? Well, to Alaina this was very frustrating (although, she has held our hand on numerous occassions) and she whimpered and tried to pry our hand loose, which made us have to hold tighter. By the time we made it to dinner (an Italian place - very good - 22 of us), she was crying full force and Doug had picked her up. I was carrying Ally, who asked "What's wrong with Ni-Ni (Alaina)?" I told her that Alaina was very sad and that she didn't want to obey mommy and daddy. Ally looked at me and said with a smile, "Mommy, I am very happy!" Yes, there is a mutual love and rivalry between these two - no surprises there.
So, I sat outside with Alaina while the rest of the group went inside. She continued to cry and I tried to calm her down with my lame attempt to sing to her "Jesus Loves Me" and a few other favorites. Thankfully, she isn't too critical of my singing voice, especailly since it's rather raspy these days (Pretty sure it's allergies, because I feel fine). She finally calmed down after about 15 minutes of sitting and singing (or maybe she just decided she would rather join the group than continue to listen to my songs!!!), we went inside and enjoyed a nice dinner. All was fine once again, so we walked to get some ice cream, met a few other families and called it a LONG day!
More later --



11 comments:
Hi family- I know that by now you are ALL tired-also looking ahead to coming home.
Mama wants to know what you want her & Amy to stock the kitchen with-to make life a little easier when you get home. -- lunch packing food, milk, bread, etc. She said to send me an email & I will pass the list to her.
Have a fun & safe trip home- enjoy Hawaii!
Love to all,
Ta
Just so you know...your body will probably hurt worse tomorrow. I couldn't even lean on anything for 2 days! I swear my massage guy put his knee in my back several times!
Becca saw the picture of Ally on the slide show (from behind with no clothes) and yelled..."Look, I'm neknek (naked) girl!
Hope you have a smooth trip home. Extra prayers for you all tonight!
Hi Lucy...it sounds like you guys (and everyone) is ready to come HOME! I can't imagine.....At least Alaina "sad" times seem to be few and far between? I think it is funny how they are buying for attention - sounds like the White House ;). I wish you were feeling better - hopefully soon (before HAWAII).
Take care and thanks for the great post (can't wait to see pics)!
Oh and by the way you guys were the talk of our lunch "group" today! :) China talk that is :)
Stacy
Oh, sweety - I wish I could just snap my fingers and make everything better for all of you immediately. As much fun as it is to be away - it's always great to come home too. I think A and A have done an amazing job with all that has happened to them. I can't wait to hear S and L's view of the massage. So glad y'all are eating good food that is keeping y'all strong. We miss you guys and will have dinner over there Monday night for you - that'll be a hectic day for all of you getting back to normal life and A adjusting to her new life. You keep mentioning that she likes noodles so you can count on that.
Hugs to all! Y'all are almost to Hawaii - can you believe it?
Love reading about all your adventures. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. As wonderful as the trip has been, though, there truly is no place like home! Saying a prayer for smooth and safe travel for you all.
You will be home soon !
Of course you can steal my photos -
we need to share email address' so we can share other photos too.
:) I didn't get the group shot at the park today.
Can't imagine how tired you really are. Perfect timing for massages. Now if they did those for little kids... that would be great!
Hope everyone gets needed sleep tonight and wakes up happier tomorrow.
Happy last whole day(?)!
Oh boy. Sounds like you are being so patient, though. Maybe we all thought it was going so well, we slacked up on the prayers. We'll keep praying. Maybe Hawaii will cheer her up! Ellen
Very Funny about the singing. You know children always love their momma's voice, even if it's not the best.
It is such a LONG trip without the comforts of "normal". Hang in there, you will be home soon.
BTW-We NEED pics please!
Post a Comment