Tuesday, January 20, 2009

She's at School!



Yep, I took Alaina this AM. I have been somewhat stressed about the timing of this. I took her on Friday to "visit" and meet her new teachers. We were beyond thrilled that she has the same teachers that Lauren had for Kindergarten. I couldn't have asked for sweeter teachers! I really felt it was too soon, but Doug insisted that whenever we take her for the first day that it will be hard. My feeling is that I would have liked for her to be a little more comfortable with the English. We'll see how the day develops AND how she reacts tomorrow AM when she realizes that she has to go back AGAIN!!!

So, this AM Alaina woke up at 7:10 and ate breakfast. I showed her the lunch that daddy had packed and she seemed excited. She was pretty cooperative getting dressed and then we were off! I walked her into her classroom and Ms. Adams and Ms. Conoley were there to greet her. She took her towel and pillow to her cubby and put her jacket away. She came back to me and I told her that Daddy would pick her up after school. She nodded (who knows if she understood or not), and I said good-bye. No tears!!! I then went to recurit some spies to check on her throughout the day (former teachers of S and L, thanks Suzanne and Julie!). Her teacher (Ms. Conoley) emailed Doug these pictrues and her parapro (Ms. Adams) called me to tell me she was doing fine! Just another miracle in our journey.

7 comments:

Sprinkles' and Popsicle's Mom said...

I love the pictures -thank you. I have to tell you that I was at a birthday party with a retired elementary school principal - you know her - Cheryl. Anyhow - I asked her what her opinion was about A starting school today - she completely agreed that y'all were doing the right thing. The sooner the better! I know this has to be hard, but you're definitely doing what is best for her! Hope L is feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Once again God is blessing your family! Finding the right school, getting the right teachers, and having Alaina start with no problems at all is simpling amazing! (By the way...is Kathy Adams the "Ms. Adams" you refer to? If so, I love her!!!) I pray that God continues to keep all calm as Alaina and the rest of your girls make the transition to your new "forever family"!

Deb said...

That's wonderful that Alaina has begun her transition to school. She's such a smart cookie I have no doubt she'll enjoy it. Be sure to write about how her day went (and tomorrow morning too!)

Hugs,
Deb M. in MT

bugs parents said...

What a special little girl! They are amazing to adjust to so many changes so quickly. You all are doing a great job of making her feel comfortable and part of the family, to be able to do so well with school. Keep up the good work!

Shanna said...

wow! she is transitioning so beautifully! such a blessing! What a sweet girl you have been blessed with. she has changed so much since she has found her wonderful family.
hugs to you~

Moosevine said...

Alaina seems so resilient and eager to learn. As someone who's worked with beginning ESOL kids, I really think giving her this time in the classroom will encourage her English and socialization skills. She'll be so much more ready for school this fall. And the teachers!!! Oh my goodness...what wonderful, thoughtful, caring teachers!! You couldn't ask for a better academic situation for Alaina.

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

She looked great yesterday. Hope she had a great birthday -- sounds like she did!