Sunday, January 4, 2009

Medical Appt and SHOTS!













We survived the day with NO TEARS! We met our group, walked to have the visa photos, and then went to the clinic for adoptive children. It felt like all day we heard, "do it this way, except for H family"! The med exam was rather uneventful (I can say that since I didn't get the shots!). The cardiologist that examined Alaina said she has a healthy heart! They were back and forth reading her meds and told me she would have to have surgery for her hernia when we got home. I was confused, because her English translation said she already had the surgery (and she has a scar!). Finally, they looked at the scar and said "OK" -- crazy! Then she was weighed (15 kg) and measured (108 cm). Next was the fun part - the shots. While the rest of the group was able to leave, we stayed at the clinic. In a front room, Alaina was sat on a stool and a nurse gave her 2 shots in one arm and 1 in the other. At some point she took a pill, but I missed that. She did whimper a little bit, but no tears. What a nice day! We are saying a prayer of thanksgiving for the good news about her heart and for making it through the first real step of the Hague requirements.

Lunch was a quick run to Subway, which is right outside our hotel. Not quite like home, but tasted pretty good. Ally took her nap and then we went to the playgound in the median. The little girls spent most of their time on the slides, while S, L and I went to the exercise "equipment". On some of the things, we had no idea what to do, so I'm sure we provided a few laughs to the locals passing by. There was one lady there that walked about 6 laps around the little track BACKWARDS! No idea why! We met 2 families that were just getting into town and meeting their daughters tomorrow. Once of them is getting a 7 year old, so she had lots of Q's for us.

At 3 PM, I met with the other "smart" parents to complete paperwork for the consulate. Our adjenda said to send the "smart" parent to the meeting!!! So, I went (HA HA) mainly because I had put all of the paperwork together for the adoption and consulate (and they can read my writing!). It went smoothly, but once again, I was the exception to the rule! I was just thankful that I had every piece of paper that I needed. Alaina would be proud that I was so organized!

Doug and the girls did a little shopping, but came back empty handed. They taught Alaina to say "happy birthday mommy" which made my day! How cute is that?

Also, this afternoon, Doug and I got another lesson on pronouncing her Chinese name. Lauren made a label for her drawer that says "Alaina's Drawer" and she wrote her name on the label in Chinese. She pulled us over and had us sit (or squat) down in front of her labeled drawer. I suppose I got a passing score since I only had to say it once. Daddy, on the other hand, was not a good student! After each failed effort on his part, Alaina would get louder and louder. I was laughing so hard I could hardly talk, as she got louder with him and scolded him for his skills. We wonder if she has been schooled by a super strick teacher! We felt like we had gone to Chinese school after that. We got it on video, but our camera is not cooperating right now...

We met our group for dinner at the "Cow and Bridge" Thai restaurant. We had so much fun talking to everyone. Before we ate, I was surprised with a B'day cake that Doug and the girls ordered for me! It said "Luck", and Doug later told me he had requested that it say Lucy. Close enough! Our guides insisted that we eat it before ordering our meals, so we obeyed! Go ahead, make me eat cake!

Upon returning to the room, with Ally asleep in my arms, we got a phone call from the hotel. They called to wish me a happy birthday and said they would be delivering a cake to our room! About 10 minutes later, they arrived with a cake, fruit bowl and card that said "happy birthday Lusy"! HA HA! I laughed so hard! Apparently, they don't get a lot of requests to spell Lucy around here. Please notice how Alaina is squatting on the EDGE of the little table - maybe some cake will put a little weight on her!

It was a very happy birthday - thank you for all the nice wishes from home!

17 comments:

Lisa said...

Lucy, I found your blog from Straight Talk. Her daughter and my nephew are from the same orphanage and he was in some pictures on her blog. My sister is leaving in a few days for China. I am SO excited and it helps the wait for me to read other blogs from families that are there now. Your daughters are all beautiful! Lisa

Anonymous said...

I always want to eat desert before the main course! Maybe I should move to China. Glad you had a happy b'day.
Love you all!

Donna said...

Shots and no tears?!?! I still can't believe how WELL Alaina is doing. God has truly blessed your family :) Happy Birthday!

Oh and if you want to eat at the Cow and Bridge again be sure to go at lunch time and specifically ask for the LUNCH menu. It is half the price as dinner!

Renate said...

Wow what a happy year already. Very Happy Birthday Lucy. The cake looks good!I was wondering what Alaina was doing on the table! LOL

Anonymous said...

happy birthday lucky lusy! what a wonderful way to start another year...

Scott and Joan said...

Happy Birthday LUCY!! I think we should all learn a lesson and eat our birthday cake before dinner!
Can't wait to see all of you!

Stacy said...

What a great post Lucy - lots of laughs!Thanks for the picture of Cole at the medical place - he is so cute! I am so glad that she didn't cry...she is a strong and brave girl :). I can't wait to see the video of Doug trying to say her name - very funny. I am with Aunt Amy - I wish someone told me I had to eat the cake BEFORE dinner...who would complain about that :).

Only 7 more days left and a trip to Hawaii...have fun :)

Stacy

Sprinkles' and Popsicle's Mom said...

"Lusy", "Luck" or however you spell your name these days - sounds like y'all had a good day! I CANNOT believe that there were no tears with the shots - can I borrow Alaina when we take Sprinkles next time for her shots? Popsicle made a a collage of your pictures for everyone in our Sunday School class to see - they all fell in love with Alaina, of course. Popsicle said to tell Sara that her class misses her and are praying for y'all. I love all the pics - I, like Stacy, cannot wait to see the video of Doug being the failing student in Alaina school. I can just imagine - sounds like we're all going to be laughing a lot with Miss Alaina. I guess it's Monday over there now and I'm sure it's hard to believe but you only have a couple days left. I don't quite understand why you guys fall under the new rules and everyone else doesn't, but I'm thankful your paperwork was organized and there were no problems. So thankful her heart is okay as well. Sounds like everyone is doing well - yippee! Hugs to all!

Beth and Ryan said...

Lots of laughs! I even had my husband come in and read this post...especially the part about Alaina trying to teach your husband her name...hilarious, I felt like I was there with you!

sheryl said...

Just when I can't imagine ya'll doing any better, you do a post like this! You guys are having so much fun! The image of Alaina teaching and scolding Doug is too funny.

Hugs,
Sheryl

The Tennant's said...

Lucy, I'm so glad to hear that Alaina did so well with her medical exam. She's such a brave little girl! It's looks like all of the girls are having a wonderful time. Enjoy these last few days! Jennifer Tennant

The Millers said...

Happy Birthday, dear friend. How do these birthdays keep creeping up on us (aren't we still 20 something and in SS at 1st Baptist? And how is it we keeping getting all these kids in our old age(ha!!) Chad is sure the "Lucky" and "Lusy" are Dougs doings-he said it is a Myrna moment. Seeing you in China makes us miss you all the more!! How many adoptions would we have ahead to get us in China together or do we just need to aim for a heritage tour??
Love the Alaina squats... does Ally still squat too? SB does.
Bless you on this special day.

Moosevine said...

Happy birthday Lucy! Eric has always insisted that eating dessert first is wise because you might not have room for it by the time you finish the main course. Of course if you do have room, you should have dessert afterward as well. (He actually lived by that creed in college!)

So glad the doctor's visit went so well. One more thing off the list!

Sally & Richard said...

Mom & I wish you a Happy birthday- it is still Sunday here!! Mother said she well remembers 43 year years ago- yes you ARE 43!!!
Love to all,
Ta ,Richard & Mama

Steve and Darcy said...

Happy Birthday Lucy! How great to have 2 cakes in one day - even though they didn't spell your name right either time - hilarious! I am so glad that everything is going so well for y'all! We sure have enjoyed getting all of the great updates! Enjoy Guangzhou!

Duchess of Lanier said...

Happy birthday Lucky Lusy! Too cute!
Glad the shots were over quickly, and laughing at the "smart parent" as well as your Chinese lessons and the teacher ;)
Thanks for sharing your updates!

Jodi said...

We are so blessed to have met y'all this trip! All of your girls are just beautiful! I hope and pray that we can keep in touch!