Sometimes everyone just needs a nap. Today was that kind of day. Not that it was a bad day, but many little folks (our 2 topping the list) are just exhausted. I am torn between “making the most of our time in China” and letting them recover. I also realize that if they don’t get the rest they need, that no one has much fun, especially mommy! So A and A are napping, after a little protest from each of them.
The park we visited was pretty much another park with beautiful scenery and Chinese architecture and old people playing hacky-sack – lots of them! Good for them – they are exercising (dancing, tai-chi, etc) and just being outside enjoying the weather. We dressed the girls alike this morning, but got no real pics of them, because it was a bit chilly outside today and we put their jackets on them. We were all pretty tired at the park, so we all mainly talked and let the kids run and play. They had so much fun just running and chasing and climbing on an ancient cannon! This is almost our whole group (3 families didn’t come this AM): Jorja, Alaina, Ally, Elizabeth, Peter, Catherine, Garrett and Cole (new kiddos in bold). So, when there is nothing else to do, go climb on a cannon with your new friends!
Apparently, we are good to go with the US Consulate – Rebecca went to turn in all of our paperwork this morning while we were at the park and there were no “problems”. That is a big relief for me, since we are still on that “guinea pig” status with our 800! YEAH! That means we can keep her!
So, on to Alaina and her adjustment… as soon as we got to the park, the whining began. She again refused to hold my hand, but we pushed through it (not always pretty) and she had fun. The whiner would reappear from time to time, but I chose the “I don’t hear that” option and it seemed to snap her out of it pretty quickly each time. Whining is the one thing that just about gets me, so I have to nip this before it becomes a “lovely habit”! I knew that she felt fine and that nothing was hurting her, because she would run and jump and play, laughing all the way. When it was time to walk on with the group, she would whine. We didn’t take the stroller for ANY of the kids because there were a lot of stairs to climb. She is also not very fond of sitting on her bottom while on the bus, but she is learning. I’m sure a booster seat in the car will be a delight the first few times!!!
We did a little shopping and got a quick lunch at Lucy’s with Lori and Kaili (from Kunming) and came back for naps! Our red couch picture is tonight – that was a big part of my motivation for the little ones to nap. Sara and Doug went back to one of the markets in town (jade, I think). Lauren and Ally are asleep in the next room and Alaina and I are in our room. After the pics, we are going on a dinner cruise with the group – I am very much looking forward to that, since we didn’t do that last time!
Despite my wishes (I know, what was I thinking?), we had to buy another suitcase. The girls are realizing that this is likely their last time to come to China (maybe they will come again to adopt themselves – that is another post!), so they are trying to get the things that they didn’t get last time! A and A would buy every toy, but are OK to leave with nothing. We got them each a few silk dresses, T’s and purses. Alaina guards her purse, which has some yuan in it, like a hawk! She even has it with her in the bed, I think!



10 comments:
So glad you all are doing well and I can definitely understand why naps would be in the schedule!!! Bless you all today!!!
Lucy, It sounds like you guys have had an amazing trip but that everyone is looking forward to getting home. We (Business teachers here at Central Gwinnett) are thinking of you on these last few days of such an awesome journey!
Cool - a dinner cruise - any cruise is good! Y'all will have a blast! The memories y'all have created are priceless - I only wish the blogger would cooperate with your pictures - it's killing us here at CGHS not to see those precious cute little smiles. What an amazing experience for each of you. I can't wait to hear how Alaina likes her first trip to the ocean! I'm praying that everyone is so tired before you get on the plane that everyone sleeps the entire plane ride. Wouldn't that be nice? Enjoy your last day over there - WE'RE SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS! I wonder if Ally needs some of her famous cupcakes??? One more thing - I'm so glad y'all aren't missing out on the couch picture. I was afraid with you not staying there that you'd miss out so I'm so glad it's close and you'll get the traditional picture - yippee!
Well, just be careful that the new suitcase you buy isn't so big that it could contain more golf clubs!! : )
So glad you are getting lots of outdoor play time for the girls; after enduring a July heatwave, you certainly deserve this!
Love to you all.
Jean
Oh my! A five year old child who is whining? That sounds so....NORMAL.:) I guess whining needs no translation. It sounds to me like she is adjusting just fine and is even willing to show her independence. I am so glad you have the opportunity to enjoy the culture. This has been such a wonderful experience for you all, but I know you'll be glad to sleep in you own beds and begin your new life as a family of SIX! Can't wait to see the red couch pictures - after reading many blogs on Chinese adoptions, this picture seems to say, "WE DID IT!". Congratulations!
Linda Z.
AMEN Lucy...I can't stand whining either :). I hope you guys get some rest soon (little girls especially). Not much longer and you will be in paradise (Hawaii) and then home (forever)! :)
Hang in there :)
Stacy
Hope you enjoyed the cruise. We chose to do that as well....the squatty potty proves to be a challenge on the boat!
Madison & Alaina can have whining contests - bet Madison can give her a run for her money!! We are glad everyone is having such a good time. Can't wait to see y'all on Sunday! Give the girls a big hug from us! LOVE YOU!!!
Susan, Mike & Madison
I hope you guys enjoy the dinner cruise. We had a fabulous evening that night. Still amazing Alaina is doing so well. Only a few more days until HOME! I already have a playdate scheduled for Tuesday so get home and get it together ;)
little girls - whining - they go together like chips and salsa!!! Just proves she is normal. I wish we were meeting your plane in Honolulu! That would be fun. Say hello to the island for me. I will return one day.
See you Sunday.
hugs and kisses.
Aunt Amy
Post a Comment