This afternoon, we ventured out on our own to Walmart! It was a few blocks away so we just walked. Ally and Alaina took turns in the stroller. We had so much fun looking at the similar things and the unusual things! We saw a large “box-o-beef/ham” (beautifully packaged in a red and gold box for your best CNY gift giving experience!), dried fish hanging on a rope, pig head skins, and coconut coffee. It was sort of like samples day at Sam’s – the Oreo lady was there, as well as the Kraft lady and the Tang lady all passing out samples. It was a multi-level store so we had to work hard to ask where the ramps were, but we found our way around! Our favorite “find” was some Disney DVD’s that cost 15 yuan (about $2) brand new! We let each little girl pick out one – Ally chose “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” and Alaina chose the “Disney Princesses” (we all agreed that Miss Randi and SG would be proud!). We brought them back to the room just to make sure they worked on our DVD player – they didn’t work on the portable one, but worked fine on the laptop. They both had the option of Chinese or English. Alaina seemed to enjoy it and sang along to a few songs! Since we know they work, we plan to go back and buy several more in the next day or so. I think we may even be able to get the real full versions of some of the Disney movies – all for 15 yuan! We were the ONLY non-Chinese people there in the entire crowded store. It made me even more aware of how much of a shock awaits Alaina upon going home to GA – yes, we will encounter an occasional Chinese person, but the variety she’ll see will have to be overwhelming! The store was packed with people and all decked out in red and gold decorations in preparation for the upcoming Chinese New Year celebration in late January!
We are really enjoying out time in Kunming. Susan, our guide, is really funny and cute. She took us to a jade market that she claimed to be “less expensive”, but we thought it was WAY more expensive than the jade in Guangzhou, so we decided to pass on any jade here. We have a few things that we really hope to find in Guangzhou this time, but not too many. I’m sure we will manage to fill up our suitcase though.
Tomorrow we visit the orphanage. We will be sure to have Susan explain to Alaina that we are just going for a visit and she can take some of her “friends” some candy. I doubt she was very close to anyone there, since she was only there a few weeks (if that) before we got her!



13 comments:
So did you miss the fire drill? Who knew that a trip to Wal-mart could be so entertaining?! What fun to explore and bargain shop!
Very colorful Walmart. No shortage of meat from the looks of it.
I am so proud of Alaina for picking out the Disney Princess videos! She really is super smart :) It looks like y'all are finding fun things to do over there - enjoy each second of it! Everyone seems to be adjusting so well - I'm so happy for all of you! I'm really proud of Doug for not spraining his ankle this trip too! Keep on blogging - we LOVE IT!
Another great day! Love Alaina feeding the noodles. And nail polish? Yeah!
Hope you missed the fire drill and that you are now loaded down with movies.
Happy Wednesday!
WOW!!!!I've been away for the holidays!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Photos are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!
It's wonderful to see so many smiles on Alaina's face in the pictures! I think she is adjusting so well - and why shouldn't she - she's got a wonderful new family! So glad everything's going well - I'll keep checking on you guys!
Linda Z.
Congrats, Lucy! These photos are fabulous! Please keep them coming. I wish I was with you guys. She's beautiful... you guys look happy and healthy.
I can't wait to meet her in person!!
umm... yeah.. that last comment was from me, Holly!
GOOOO TAYLOR!
great to read of all the "little" victories that are HUGE blessings for you all! we are all praying for your family of 6!
Okay - my family has probably worn out the video of Alaina and Ally jumping on the bed. Popsicle could watch it nonstop! We love hearing Alaina talk!
How was the fire drill. I am sure the Harkness crew tried stirring things up! Loved Sara's idea! We went to a store like Walmart(many floors) and had a blast. Shopping is way too much fun there especially for cheapies like us. Praying for you all the time. You are doing so well-we love you all bunches. I know that you are struggling with the language barrier but all she has to do is be around you to feel how much she is loved and wanted. Love is the very best language there is.
Hey -
Just wanted to say congrats and I'm so happy that you all are having so much fun!!! Wishing you the happiest New Year for 2009 as you begin it with such JOY.
Love to you all!
Tara
Just like me. Always find a Wal Mart no matter what country I am in:) It is a comfort zone to me. Glad everything is working out so nicely. Happy New Years! And Lucy you have a birthday very soon. I have enjoyed your posts and pictures.
Debbie T.
Post a Comment