A few days ago, Doug told me that he wanted to send Alaina's teachers a thank you note. We were just reflecting on how well she has done with school and how thankful we are for the 2 ladies that teach her daily (along with 20 other delightful Kindergarteners). School was one of those HUGE uncertainties when we decided to adopt an "older" child. So many unknowns! We just talked about how hard it could have been if she had had a bad experience.... Here is what he sent the teachers (and copied the principal, because, as a teacher, he knows that a pat on the back to the boss is always a good thing!)
I wanted to take a moment to say how much I appreciate the work you two
have done with Alaina this year. As I went to the area board meeting the
other night, I really felt the tug to get up at the end of the meeting and
brag on you guys. However it was late, Freeman’s Mill isn’t in the Dacula
cluster, and my colleagues who wanted to go home probably would have killed
me. But as I sat there and heard many success stories and a few
complaints, I felt the need to say “thanks”.
When Lucy and I decided to adopt a six year old, we prayed for the best and prepared for the worst. This child initially
would be a stranger in our family. Would she hate us, bite, kick,
scream hysterically? How would Ally react? Ally had been almost an
only child with 3 mothers, Sara, Lauren, and Lucy. She had all the
attention for a year and a half. Would Ally be so jealous and hate her
new sister? (they adore each other and are best friends)
Another huge concern for us was school. What were we going to do with
her when we got back from China? I kept telling Lucy we really did not
have a choice, as both of us work. Alaina would have to go to school, soon.
We struggled with: Would it be fair to leave her with strangers who
can’t communicate with her? Would it be fair to the other kids in the
classroom? What would be going through her mind each day? Are they
leaving me at another orphanage or something? Will they pick me up at
the end of each day?
Freeman’s Mill was a great experience for both Sara and Lauren.
However this was a different situation. Alaina would not be starting
school with the same knowledge base as Sara and Lauren. We worried that
school would be a bad experience for her and she would feel behind or
unsuccessful.
Well that was not the case. From the first day, Alaina has felt
nothing but love and encouragement. She has learned so much already and
we are so grateful to both of you for the transformation. Alaina loves
school. We pray with her every night before bed time and she begins with “thank you for Ms. Adams, and Ms Conoley.” You both have truly been an
answer to prayer.
This morning we met with Dr. Jean Walker, our Area Superintendent and
she kept saying how 'we have to take kids where they are: no matter the
color of their skin etc'. Well, I just could not keep quiet I had to tell
her about the two of you and the success of Alaina. She was very
touched by the story and was thankful that I shared it.
Again, “thanks” for all you do. The word thanks seems so inadequate in
this situation. We have a lovely daughter who is so well adjusted at
home and at school and we owe a lot of that success to the two of you.
Doug
OK, I know that when ever there is a "Daddy Post" that it's extra meaningful!!! I'd say this one qualifies!!!
Friday, April 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Super cool, Doug! I know they'll treasure this forever!
What a sweet daddy and I am so glad Alaina is doing so well. What a blessings!!!
Shay
Awesome!! and thank you for the encouragement! I am in tears every day over Jorja going to kindergarten next year.
Thanks so much!
jodi sue
www.headsup07up.blogspot.com
As a fellow teacher, I can say that a note like that is better than any gift you could ever give!
Makes me weepy.
WOW.....I am speechless! Great Job Doug - I can't imagine what those two teachers are feeling after that wonderful letter. :)
I can't wait to meet Alaina one day!
Post a Comment