Ally went for an evaluation with a speech therapist today. It was interesting to see how she (the ST was also named "Ali") engaged Ally and got her to interact! She began by asking me a TON of Q's about Ally; meanwhile, Ally played with a ball popper toy on the floor. Then she asked Ally to sit at the table and look at a book with her. She began by showing Ally a few pictures and asking her to point to something specific. Every now and then, she would ask Ally "what is that?" and Ally would answer! Then she asked more Q's like that and Ally continued to answer! I was just glad that Ally didn't just ignore her!
She actually did very well, but does qualify for treatment. She has the typical problems with S, L and R's, but she is dropping the ending syllables on many words, making it hard to understand certain words. The biggest challenge is getting her away from those "throaty"/"nasaly" sounds that come from her only hearing Chinese for 2 years. So, we will likely soon add one more thing to add to our lives! I know she will benefit now and I want her to get help before she starts "real" school!
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Hi there, you have a darling blog. The Sat Chat Group runs from 8am est to 12 noon est. Although tomorrow will have to be cut a little short since my son has a hockey game at 11:30am.
You are definitely welcome to join us!
Glad you joined the chat today. I think I know your friend Donna and Susan who is going to CHina!
Have you been to First Fridays in Atlanta?
Good luck with therapy...it is amazing what they can teach the little ones! :)
Post a Comment