Monday, August 24, 2009

Alaina's Surgery


Today was Alaina's dental surgery at Scottish Rite at Children's Healthcare of Atl. She couldn't eat after midnight last night, so by the time they gave her the first drink of "special sleepy medicine" at 1:30 this afternoon, she was pretty much over the whole thing! Who can blame her?

She totally collapsed in my lap within 10 minutes of her special meds; I laid her down on the bed and they came and wheeled her away. Prior to her med, we had a string of doctors and nurses come thru the room - anesthesiologist, OR nurse, "her" nurse, the dentist, etc... All of this combined to make her uneasy and nervous (coupled with being hungry and thirsty) and whiny.

She left the room at 2:00 and returned about 3:40. She came back to us in tears and was inconsolable for about 25 minutes - crying, thrashing, kicking. Glad she is tiny; I couldn't have held her and kept her from hurting herself if she was any bigger or stronger! She tried to pull out the IV and kept trying to put her hands in her mouth. Finally, she began to drink a few sips of gatorade and slushie once she calmed down. We got her a big Cinderella balloon that she didn't pay much attention to (until we got home).

They had to pull her two front top teeth - the doctor said there was no real reason to fill them since they would likely fall out by the time she turns 7; and the nerves were damaged already. She got silver caps (fillings, I guess) on ALL of her molars - every one of them. AND had 2 or 3 other cavities filled. She thinks she has braces! It was worse than I realized! Poor little girl - almost every tooth in her mouth was decayed. I just hope that this will take care of things and that, going forward, we can work really hard to prevent any further damage.

Thanks to so many of you who said a special little prayer for our girl today. God was with all of us! For that we are thankful. It still sometimes amazes me that she is ours - just one of our little miracles!!!

The pic (taken by my phone) was before she went into surgery. She has what I like to call her "worried look" - we saw that look in some of the baby pics we got from China! Afterwards, she was looking pretty beat up, swollen, bruised and bloody -- no pics for a few days! She will have a precious school picture this year! I just LOVE snaggle toothed kids' smiles!!! So cute!

7 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

Bless her precious heart! I am so sorry it was such a hard day. That was a lot for her to go through but so thankful she had you to hold her when it was over. Praying you all have a restful night and she feels better tomorrow! So glad you have that behind you!!!
Blessings!

Caroline Ingle said...

Love that you are already thinking about school pictures! What a beautiful girl. I am so glad that she is in your family.

The Hindsman's said...

I hope Alaina is feeling better. She looks so big!

Donna said...

Thanks for the update. I am sure you and Alaina are glad this part is over! Hoping she has a speedy recovery and will rest getting special hugs from mommy and daddy.

Unknown said...

Hope you are doing well. Are you on the first floor? Wish I was working tonight..Praying for sweet dreams

Scott and Joan said...

Poor thing!! I hope she has a quick recovery!

Jodi said...

Poor girl!!!! I hope she is feeling much better! I have to go to the dentist today -not quite as much work and I'm not being very brave. :)
I could use some tips from Alaina!