I found this on one of my Yahoo groups and it summed up how I felt as we stood at our US Consulate appt in Guangzhou a little over a year ago. I remember Doug's thoughts about all the children as he looked around. I remember fighting back tears as we stood and swore to always love and care for Ally as she became a citizen of the US. It was not very fancy as "ceremonies" go, but here is what this other mom said (she is, I'm guessing on a plane coming home with her son)...
It really hadn't hit me, all that we had done and been through until this afternoon when I stood in the US Consulate Office with my right hand raised and said the oath that made Jacob a US citizen...as I looked around the crowded room filled with about 100 babies and new parents I thought to myself, all of these children were abandoned... some in boxes, some in trash cans, some in malls, mine in a hospital clinic...and many of their counterparts did not make it...but these children, all dressed in their clean pressed red, white and blue outfits will get on a plane tomorrow bound for a place where they can become anything from a homemaker to a brain surgeon to a teacher...it was overwhelming to stand there and soak that in.
Often it is easy for us to forget all that we have here in our country! I think the next time I stand in that room for Alaina, I will have much more of a deep understanding of what is actually happening!!!
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Amen sister! Now can we just get into that room now!!
yeah......I am raising the doctor here, or maybe a great chef...she loves cooking and checking belly buttons, so we will see.........LOL
Post a Comment