Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sunshine!

Yes, it is warm in Georgia! We have really enjoyed our pool since returning from the beach. We are taking every opportunity to get Ally into the water. She will go under "2 times", as she says. She doesn't hate it, but it isn't her favorite thing. She is kicking and using her arms with me holding her. We are trying to get her used to the feeling of the water before she takes swim lessons (parent assist, yeah) in mid-July. I think she will do fine. Miss Debbie also taught S and L how to swim, but at an older age. She is excellent, but tough, and doesn't put up with cryers or whiners! So, we'll see.

I am certainly not much of a cook, but we had a delicious dinner tonight. I'll explain. Right before we went camping, our stove caught on fire (and not because I was cooking!). Doug put a bagel in the oven on broil and the back control panel popped and flamed up! I was in the dining room and heard Doug scream. I ran into the kitchen to see flames coming up from behind the stove. He pulled it away from the wall and I blew out the fire. It all happened so suddenly and then it was over. Anyway, nothing (but the stove) was hurt, but we have been without an oven for 2 weeks. So we have done a lot of grilling and using the electric skillet. Tonight we fried shrimp in the turkey fryer. It was amazing - crunchy and hot! Also had a delicious spinich-strawberry salad. YUMMY! After that we all hopped into the pool. Dash even got in on the fun, by digging into the freshly planted and watered plants in the back yard - he was filthy! He also carried a stale hot dog bun (intened for the birds) around the yard and finally burried it for later!

We are very close to completing our home study for Alaina's adoption. We have everything we need, but are waiting on our 'child abuse clearance' letters from 2 counties. We are eager to get that done so our dossier can be sent to China on our old fingerprints (that expire in late July). We will have to have them re-done anyway for the new 800 A requirements, but it will "buy us some time" and get our paperwork into China and into the system.

I talked to my friend Donna, who is also paperchasing for her second China girl, and she and I are following similar paths. Shelby and Ally were on the same lists from Hope, and that is how we met! Anyway, she is rockin-and-rollin on her paperwork and will easily catch up with us. We talked a bit about how this time around "feels" different. Not that we aren't excited, but so much of the mystery is gone. We know what to expect about the travel, planning, packing, etc. We know a little more about attachment and bonding as well. Also, with Ally we were logged in for SO long that by the time we "found" her, we were ready to go!

Therefore, the whole process feels different. It feels a little more mechanical than emotional. So much of the process that we went through with Ally was making the decision to adopt in the first place. Now that we have done that, the decision to adopt again was somewhat easier! I think that is why so many people go back to adopt again (and again!). I never ever thought this would be our path, and it took me longer to "warm up" to the idea than it did for Doug. But now that we are on the same page, I'm getting excited. Thinking that we could possibly be in China by the end of the year or early in 09, is so amazing. I never would have believed it, but here we are.

2 comments:

Donna said...

So happy to be with you on this new journey once again together!

Carol said...

I so wish I could go back for number 2, but hubby won't go for it. I will have to live thru you!!

PS I know hubby is not going to change his mind........