Monday, October 11, 2010

"You So Silly, Mommy"

After asking Alaina something recently, this is the reply I got.

We were in the car and she and Ally were talking about adding numbers. Alaina was trying to explain to Ally that in a subtraction problem, the big number has to come first; but in an addition problem, it doesn't matter. Ally just didn't get it. Then I asked Alaina a question...

"Alaina, do you remember how to write your numbers in Chinese?"

"Sure, I think so."

Me -- "Why do they write the numbers in China 2 ways? Why do they write them like we do in English (digits) and write them with a character?"

Alaina -- "Mommy, you know that. You so silly!"

Me -- "No I really don't know. Why do they do both?"

A -- "You just so silly. You KNOW this!"

Me -- "No, I really don't! Tell me."

A -- "OK, the number is just like our number. The character is just like our word. Like 2 and T-W-O."

Me -- "Oh, yeah, I guess so!"

Gee whiz, silly mommy!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

you so silly!!! Isn't it nice to know our little girls will keep us in line and keep our minds fresh!

Sprinkles' and Popsicle's Mom said...

LOVE THIS!

Donna said...

DUH!! Sorry couldn't resist ;)