I have mentioned several times how I would have never imagined that we would have 4 kids, but here we are. The addition of Alaina to our family has actually made most things easier. Despite her being somewhat bossy at times and a bit of a tattletale (I know, it goes with being 6), she plays pretty well with all the other girls, especially Ally. She also is constantly asking questions. I understand that this is part of learning, but at times, it wears me out!!
Anyway, on to my original thought. I have noticed a few things since becoming a family with 4 kids. We go through a lot of paper towels and potty paper very quickly! Since the girls have not been in school for over a month, that usage has increased dramatically. This June was the first time in a very long time that we didn't go anywhere for an entire summer month! I feel like I am buying paper towels and potty paper everytime I go to the grocery or Walmart. I suppose that is part of it, but it has become so noticable recently!
Another thing that has become staggering is the laundry. I realize that this too is directly related to the girls being home "full time" and having a pool. We do "air dry" our towels several times, but occasionally, they too have to be washed. I am washing swim suits out numerous times a day.
In short, I have never really felt "on top of" household chores, but now it seems farther out of reach than ever. I know many of you that follow along also have "big" families, so how do you do it?
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
i don't know if we qualify with three kids BUT all of mine (once they turn 10) are responsible for their own laundry and they have THEIR day to do it.
and there is the fact that i do NOT go to bed until the laundry is folded and put away and the kids can't go to bed until their laundry is done on their day. that makes it all a bit more manageable...
I agree with your friend. Delegate, delegate, delegate!!! Even EK helps with the chores. Having a big family definitely has it's challenges and we use a lot of paper items as well- TP being a biggie. I wash towels and swimsuits most everyday and the girls have a day to do their laundry. They are also responsible for their area- rooms and bathrooms. I don't do anything up there. They also pitch in when they see something needs to be done- dishwasher, picking up toys, trash... It is crazy her some days but we just make it work. Summers are much crazier than the school year,
I only have one, but I can say with her being potty trained now, I am flying through the TP!!
Yes, we have become one of "those families"- HA! Laundry never ends for sure and yes it sure is a lot of work. What were we thinking LOL ;)
well..I....have to admit...mine are spoiled.....and mom does TOO much for them........I never get done, our house is a train wreck!! But I figure if they are clean and fed, I've done well! :)
agree with you about the enormous amount of paper towels and potty paper - we are probably filling a land fill! :)
I'm sure you delegate - but there is still things only a mom can do. :) or keep ahead of. :)
Thankfully Jorja and Jailyn love to clean!
I think of you when I wash our pool towels now!!! :) Know that prayers are being said for you at least every other day. :)
Hey Lucy! Melissa gave me your blog address after you adopted Ally. Your girls are sooooo beautiful. And Sara and Lauren are so grown up! Now that I have remarried, I have 7 kiddos, but only 3 live at home. Here is what I have figured out with the laundry especially. I do laundry 2 days a week, Monday and Thursday. If it doesn't get washed one day, it has to wait for the next laundry day. I usually have one helper for laundry day, they alternate helping. Everyone puts up their own clothes before they go to bed everynight. I know that lots of folks have the kids do their own laundry and that is great. For me, it was easier to keep it together and do the loads as family loads. The 4 older boys do their own laundry and can't do it on Mond. or Thurs. The kids wash out their own bathing suits and hang them on the back porch to dry. They hang up their own towel also. Those get washed once a week. On Fridays, the kids change their beds and wash their sheets. I alternate the sheet washing between the 3 of them, so they only do it every 3 weeks. Will has garbage detail. He does it all everyday and takes to the road for pickup twice a week. Katie and Amy do the dishes, wipe the counters, put up any leftovers every night. Fridays, all year, are home ec days. The house gets cleaned by all of us. There are 3 jobs that they alternate monthly, cleaning toilets, cleaning tubs and sinks, vacumming the whole upstairs. they each dust their own rooms.
Love to read about your girls! Good luck with your organizing and delegating!
I only have 1 child (at the moment) - and this is not environmentally friendly but I use paper plates sometimes if it is just a small snack the super thin cheap kind or if it is heavier food a little more substantial. Also when I have guests we use paper cups and everyone writes their name on their cup and is in charge of keeping up with it, keeping it clean and reusing if for their entire stay. This allows me to pamper my guests in other ways like home cooked meals.
Post a Comment